24 August 2010

Technology in the National Parks Leads People into Trouble

There was an article in the Times a few days ago about how people rely on technology too much in National Parks and get themselves into trouble.  Part of it, I think, is that when people use the technology, they discard common sense.
When I hike, even in a park with some mobile phone service (Shenandoah), I don't rely on it to get me out of trouble.  I don't hike alone and I expect that I should be prepared to not be able to get help immediately via cell phone if there is an accident.  Someone who hikes in a park out west and expects to have mobile phone service is asking for trouble.  Someone who decides to record himself as he gets close to a bison is asking for even more trouble. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/science/earth/22parks.html is the link.

No comments: